detection of beta-nitroaniline via fluorescence?

John Hines john.hines at yale.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:05:38 EST 2003

Never tried this before, but I'm sure someone out there has done something
similar.  We could use some advice to prevent us from wasting our $$$.

We are using a substrate which contains a fluorogen to detect the presence
of our favorite enzyme.  As a result of the enzymatic reaction,
beta-nitroaniline is produced and can be detected via fluorescence.  While
we have an automated plate-reader that can do fluorescence readings, we
need to buy the appropriate filter(s) (for the platereader) to get the
proper wavelengths to work with beta-nitroaniline.

The literature is a bit confusing on this point.  Some sources cite an
excitation wavelength of 340 nm; others 355 nm; and one even said 405 nm
(although this last one might be to detect beta-nitroaniline via simple
absorbance).

If anyone out there is well-versed in fluorescent detection of
beta-nitroaniline, can you suggest an optimal excitation wavelength (and
the cognate emission wavelength)?

Thanks,

Stan

send replies to:  yi.zhang at yale.edu