Centricon.

D.K. no.email at thanks.to.spam.net
Wed Oct 29 17:47:09 EST 2003

In article <87k76wgxdy.fsf at alhambra.bioz.unibas.ch>, frank at kuesterei.ch wrote:
>isabelle.cousin at utc.fr schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>> Is there a protocol to re-use centricon from Millipore?
>
>I've stored them in 70% ethanol, washed with lots of water and buffer
>and reused them - but only for the same concentration step of the same
>protein.

In the old days, Amicon used to provide hints for reusing
centricons. I have followed their advice and it certainly works
except that the rate of filtration is invariably lower in the reused
stuff (I suppose this is because some protein sticks to and cloges
the membrane). Basically, wash the centricons with several changes
of the buffer with rigorous vortexing, then with water, then store
tightly closed (parafilmed) in 35% EthOH (fill both lower and
upper reservoirs). For some reason it was said it is essential to
store at RT and not in the cold room.

I too always reused the centriconed only for using with the same
protein.

DK