How long is a protein sequence?

Ian A. York iayork at
Sun Dec 12 09:46:50 EST 2004

In article <cphhna$vq1$02$1 at>,
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum  <engelbert_buxbaum at> wrote:
>Stefek Borkowski wrote:
>> Is "clipping the leading Met away" a
>> general phenomenon, concerning all proteins? If not, how do I know the final
>No, it is unfortunately a bit more complicated than that. The number of
>amino acids clipped depends on the kind of protein. For example those

Further, the trimming of the leading Met is done with different
efficiencies depending on the penultimate amino acid.  THere are papers
that have determined these efficiencies, but in my experience they're not
totally reliable -- the Met is clearly left on in some contexts when it's
supposed to be trimmed.

Life is complicated.

    Ian York   (iayork at  <>