Enzyme-friendly fixative

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Sat Feb 14 19:37:03 EST 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:12:01 +0000 (UTC), lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Louis Hom)

>Can anyone suggest a reagent for fixing cells that will preserve native
>enzyme activity?

I am sure you realize it depends on the particular enzyme. It also
depends on whether you aim at ~100% of the activity preserved or
soem (e.g., measurable) activity remained. It also depends on how
rigid your definition of fixative is - it's been shown repeatedly
that some fixatives fail to fix lots of the soluble protein(s).
That said, I'd imagine that the standard 1/10 dilution of formalin
into PBS would be milder than glutaraldehyde and is almost certainly
preferable to organic solvents or heavy metal salts for your

My $0.02,