mysterious lysozyme or what?

P.C. PC at no.email.sorry
Sat Jan 17 12:04:13 EST 2004

I find it very strange that lysozyme would bind at all to Q sepharose
(not that I tried it myself). Can it be that the real peak actually did
not elute from SP yet?

Are your columns fresh and clean? If not, wash them in 8M GuHCl.
Or NaOH as APB recommends.

The higher band is most likely egg albumin, which should have low pI and
will bind to anion-exchange.

And finally, are you sure that the vial that you used for chromatography
was actually chicken egg lysozyme and not chicken egg albumin? (please
do not take offence, it is just another thing to check). Sigma sells a
spectrum of albumins, crystallysed.

good luck,

Peter