How to extract protein from the SDS gel

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at
Sun Mar 28 02:39:40 EST 2004

qianxf at wrote:

>     Is there somebody know how I can extract the protein from the SDS
> gel to the solution without digesting it?

Electroelution. Check the manufacturer of your electrophoresis equipment
for matching electroelution tubes.

The gel is Coomassie-stained, the band of interest cut out and finely
chopped. The bits are held by a nylon net inside the tubes, the bottom
is closed of with dialysis membrane. The apparatus is filled with
transfer buffer (either Towbin or Dunn). Both proteins and coomassie
collect in a small volume of liquid on top of the membrane.