[Protein-analysis] Protein models engraved in glass

Alex Goldsmith apg23 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 05:57:44 EST 2005

Hi

With apologies to anyone who might already have seen this posting on the
CCP4BB, I thought people would be interested to hear about a new company
specifically aimed at protein scientists. Its name is Luminorum Ltd
(http://www.luminorum.com), and it specializes in engraving accurate 3D
protein models inside blocks of glass. Each model is custom-made and ideal
as an affordable memento of a research project/discovery, a (Christmas?)
gift, or a teaching tool.

The laser technology Luminorum uses is one of the very few ways to recreate
the secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure of a protein directly from
a .pdb file, in real 3D - and ligands, individual residues, nucleic acids,
het groups etc can be rendered in a variety of formats. There are sample
photos and videos on the company website - and as Managing Director, I
would of course be more than happy to answer any questions about our models
and how they're made. Please respond only to my personal email address
(apg23 at cam.ac.uk) or to info at luminorum.com.

Thanks

Alex

--