[Protein-analysis] Re: Several questions

Nick Theodorakis via proteins%40net.bio.net (by nick_theodorakis At hotmail.com)
Tue Dec 12 12:32:58 EST 2006

Fragemann wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a few questions for people.
> 1. What is the current estimate for how many genes does the human
> genome have?

It keeps dropping. Recent estimates suggest as few as 25,000 genes:

> 2. What is the current estimate for how many base pairs does the human
> genome have?

Almost 3 billion base pairs.

This estimate is reasonably accurate and has not changed much in

> 3. I was told that the more introns that you have, the greater your
> lifespan. But if all genes are at fixed loci, how can one human have
> more introns than another? It seems to me that loci positions would
> restrict intron length.

I'm afraid I don't follow the reasoning on this one.

Nick Theodorakis
nick_theodorakis At hotmail.com
contact form: