[Protein-analysis] Question about enzymes

yubbers9 from yahoo.com via proteins%40net.bio.net (by yubbers9 from yahoo.com)
Mon Oct 16 12:19:14 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm taking an introductory biology course, and I've been told
that enzymes always have only one active site.

I'm not sure about this however, because it seems to me
that there must be some enzyme that has 2 or more,
after all it's just a lumpy 3-dimensional tangle of protein,
so why wouldn't there be more than 1 active site?
For every shape on an enzyme there must be
some chemical that fits in there, right?

Can anyone please explain why an enzyme is only
expected to have one active site?

Thanks!