[Protein-analysis] Re: Question about enzymes

Tom Anderson via proteins%40net.bio.net (by twic from urchin.earth.li)
Thu Oct 19 12:32:20 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Yom wrote:

> bm wrote:
>
>> yubbers9 from yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> I'm taking an introductory biology course, and I've been told that
>>> enzymes always have only one active site.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about this however, because it seems to me that there
>>> must be some enzyme that has 2 or more, after all it's just a lumpy
>>> 3-dimensional tangle of protein, so why wouldn't there be more than 1
>>> active site? For every shape on an enzyme there must be some chemical
>>> that fits in there, right?
>>
>> Please show more respect to the subject matter you are studying and
>> then seek answer to your question.
>
> Are you on medication?

I reckon he's a structural biologist - describing an enzyme as "just a
lumpy 3-dimensional tangle of protein" is basically guaranteed to get
those guys in a furious rage.

tom

--
packaheomg sogma's