[Protein-analysis] Re: Question about enzymes

Tom Anderson via proteins%40net.bio.net (by twic from urchin.earth.li)
Thu Oct 19 12:34:15 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Marvin wrote:

> yubbers9 from yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I'm taking an introductory biology course, and I've been told that
>> enzymes always have only one active site.
>
> An enzyme is often made up of two or more protein, held together by zinc
> ions.

Er, or by other things, principally the hydrophobic effect. Any particular
reason why you mention zinc?

> It is not uncommon to have two active sites for the same substrate
> compound, and the two sites can interact, so that what is happening at
> one site affects the other site.

Very true - this is known as 'cooperativity', and is a key concept in
enzymology.

tom

--
packaheomg sogma's