[Protein-analysis] Re: Formalin-fixation after snap freezing

Kyle Legate via proteins%40net.bio.net (by legatek from hotmail.com)
Tue Aug 28 14:23:59 EST 2007

RWILLDMD from aol.com wrote:

> My question:  Is it possible to fix the previously frozen samples in
> formalin and continue analysis via immunohistochemistry for the protein
> (specifically proinflammatory cytokine) expression?   Also, does minus  20 storage
> (instead of minus 80) put the tissue at risk?

I'm assuming you plan to section the tissue for IH studies. In this case
I would embed the tissue, unfixed, directly in cryomatrix, cut in a
cryotome, and fix them on the slide as you need them with 4% PFA on ice
for 10-15 minutes. I have not had any problems in the past by storing
blocks at -20 for a couple of months but it really depends on what
you're trying to detect. Trial and error is the only way to know.