[Protein-analysis] RE: silver stained band at the running front (Monica Fazzini)

Ligong Wang via proteins%40net.bio.net (by ligongw2004 from yahoo.com)
Tue Oct 23 13:22:42 EST 2007

Sounds to me like some small peptide/protein fragments. That certainly agrees with the position where it appeared. The color difference may simply because that short peptides are not as easily stained as large proteins. As I recall, during silver stain, all bands appear greyish first. But upon prolonged staining the bands will turn brownish. At the end the whole gel will turn black. That is why silver staining can not be used for protein quantification.

Hope this helps.

Ligong Wang
Yale University

Do You Yahoo!?