[Protein-analysis] Re: Problems with silver staining

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via proteins%40net.bio.net (by engelbert_buxbaum from hotmail.com)
Tue Oct 30 14:11:40 EST 2007

Am 29.10.2007, 05:15 Uhr, schrieb terence diane fabella
<tediafa from yahoo.com>:

> curently having my thesis and Coomasie stain is not staining my target
> protein I will try to use silver stain then.

A good method is described in

@article{Heu-88,
         AUTHOR= {J. Heukeshoven and R. Dernick},
         TITLE= {Improved Silver Staining Procedure for fast Staining in
PhastSystem Development Unit I. Staining of Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate Gels},
         JOURNAL= {Electrophoresis},
         VOLUME= {9},
         YEAR= {1988},
         PAGES= {28-32},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
}

Instead of the capricious silver stain, you may also want to look at

@article{Rab-01,
         AUTHOR= {T. Rabilloud and J.-M. Strub and S. Luche and A. van
Dorsselaer and J. Lunardi},
         TITLE= {A comparison between Sypro Ruby and ruthenium(II) tris
(bathophenanthroline disulfonate) as fluorescent stains for protein
detection in gels},
         JOURNAL= {Proteomics},
         VOLUME= {1},
         YEAR= {2001},
         PAGES= {699-704},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
}

@article{Plu-07,
         AUTHOR= {F. Pluder and A.G. Beck-Sickinger},
         TITLE= {One-step procedure for staining of proteins with ruthenium
II tris (bathophenanthroline disulfonate)},
         JOURNAL= {Anal. Biochem.},
         VOLUME= {361},
         YEAR= {2007},
         PAGES= {299-301},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}

And there are of course also the proprietary Sypro-stains originally
marketed by Molecular Probes (now Invitrogen).