nuclear pores in protists

CGE at CU.NIH.GOV CGE at CU.NIH.GOV
Mon Apr 11 11:12:38 EST 1994

vstr18a at sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu (Kathleen Anderson) wrote:

>Does anyone know of any protists who do not possess nuclear
>pore complexes characteristic of Dictyostelium, yeasts, and
>metazoans?

I don't know of any that lack them but microsporidia and Giardia,
which are representatives of two of the earliest branching
eukaryotic lineages, both have nuclear pores. This would mean
that protists lacking them would have to have lost them
secondarily. As nuclear pores appear crucial for the movement
of RNAs out of and proteins into the nucleus I think this unlikely.

Graham
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases,
National Institutes of Health,