nuclear pores in protists

Des Higgins higgins at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue Apr 19 05:07:39 EST 1994

1) Apologies that this is a week late ..... news backlog at our site:

In article <Co82EL.9v0 at zoo.toronto.edu>,
mes at zoo.toronto.edu (Mark Siddall) writes:
> In article <199404111612.JAA06280 at net.bio.net> CGE at CU.NIH.GOV writes:
>>
>>I don't know of any that lack them but microsporidia and Giardia,
>>which are representatives of two of the earliest branching
>>eukaryotic lineages, both have nuclear pores. This would mean
>>that protists lacking them would have to have lost them
>>secondarily. As nuclear pores appear crucial for the movement
>>of RNAs out of and proteins into the nucleus I think this unlikely.
>
> In the first place: Giardia lamblia is NOT likely an early diverging
> eukaryotic lineage!  (see: Siddall et al., 1992. "Phylogenetic analysis
> of the Diplomonadida (Wenyon, 1926) Brugerolle, 1975: Evidence for
> heterochrony in protozoa and against Giardia lamblia as a "missing link".
> J. Protozool. 39: 361-367

What about the paper by Hashimoto et. al. in Mol.Biol.Evol. (1994), vol.11,
pages:65-71.??  The molecular evidence is strong that Giardia IS a very early
Euk. lineage.

> --
> Mark Siddall             The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
> Department of Zoology       - it is the _illusion_ of knowledge.

Indeed! :-).

Des Higgins,  EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany.