Blepharisma

Russell Shiel shielr at mdfrc.canberra.edu.au
Mon Dec 19 21:23:09 EST 1994

On Mon, 19 Dec 1994, Russell Shiel wrote:

> On 16 Dec 1994, Dave Roberts wrote:
>

> > > I am looking for information on the protzoa Blephora. My daughter's
> > > high school biology class oberved the organism. Her teach commented
> > > that there didn't seem to be much information on it. My daughter
> > > checked the local library with no results. I told her I would try to
> > > get something from internet. I'm looking for tracts, term papers or
> > > news articles that conerns Blepharisma.  The material could be intended
> > > for either the students or the teacher. If anyone has anything that
> > > would be useable please send it to my e-mail address. Anything up to
> > > about 5,000 words would be welcome.
> >
> > Rick,
> >
> > Blepharisma is a genus of spirotrich ciliates which characteristically
> > are pink in colour.  They also have a prominent set of membranelles
> > which look rather like fluttering eyelashes, whence the name (blepharon
> > is greek for eyelid).  It is widely distributed and quite common, both
> > in fresh and sea water.
> >
> > In fact, there is a very large literature available on Blepharisma,
> > although it may not be accessible to high school students.  It is
> > mostly in papers which are spread thoughout the literature and many
> > of which are quite old.  This is a very common problem to those wishing
> > to work with the protists and who do not have access to a good library.
> >
> > Try and get hold of this book:
> >
> > Blepharisma: the biology of a light sensitive protozoan
> > by Arthur C. Giese.  Stanford University Press, 1973.
> >
> > Almost any of the standard text books covering the ciliates should
> > have somthing about Blepharisma.
> >
> > Good luck,  Dave.
> > --
> > Dr D.McL. Roberts               Tel: +44 (0)171 938 8790
> > Dept. Zoology,                  Fax: +44 (0)171 938 9158
> > The Natural History Museum,
> > Cromwell Road,                  Internet: dmr at nhm.ac.uk
> > London              SW7 5BD
> > Great Britain
> >
> Curds,Cr, M.A. Gates & D.McL. Roberts (1983) British and other freshwater
> ciliated Protozoa. Part II. Cambridge Univ. Press has a paragraph of
> text and a line-drawing, pp. 298-299, with some extra references.
> More detail is given by Foissner, W., H. Berger & F. Kohmann (1992) in
> Taxonomische und okologische Revision der Ciliaten des Saprobiensystems.
> Bayerisches Landesamt fur Wasserwirtschaft - pp. 382-4 including
> taxonomy, ecology, etc. If you want to follow this up, I could provide an
> abbreviated translation by fax.  My e-mail address is:
> 	Shielr at mdfrc.canberra.edu.au
> 	FAX: 61-60-431-626 (Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre,
> Albury, New South Wales, Australia.
> Russ Shiel

Attn: Dave Roberts <dmr at nhm.ac.uk>
I'm putting this back to the newsgroup Dave - I've attempted to contact
you directly following my belated discovery that THE Roberts of Curds et
al. had already answered the question - however I've received a few pages
of guff from the network postmaster at your end that our server isn't
getting through - there's a loop in the system somewhere and it's unable
to connect (19 Dec.)

If you haven't received anything from me - shielr at mdfrc.canberra.edu.au,
or tanzac at watson.canberra.edu.au (borrowed from my wife.......) would you
please contact me?  Russ Shiel