Why are Noctiluca flourescent?

decelles paul zzdecell at ACC.WUACC.EDU
Fri Sep 23 14:33:34 EST 1994

On 23 Sep 1994 Kjell.Magne.Fagerbakke at net.bio.net wrote:

> I am not asking for florezing bacteria creating light by ATP
> driven things. I wounder why they lights up when the
> water is shaken.
>
> All ecological/ evolutional explainations will also be
> apreaciated>

Good question! I'm not an expert in this area but it is intriging to me
that there seem to be phosphorescent or bioluminescent critters for which
evolutionary or ecological explainations are not obvious. One possibility
is that the light has no direct evolutionary significance, but is merely
a biproduct of a process, perhaps a chemical pathway that is adaptive.

I tend not to like this hypothesis, but it would be interesting to see
what the biochemistry of this and similar light producing critters is
like! Maybe that would provide some clues.

Dr. Paul Decelles
Washburn University
Topeka, KS.> >