Source of heliozoan cultures & other matters

Nerad, Tom tnerad at ATCC.ORG
Tue Jul 18 14:07:35 EST 1995

 ----------
From: Nerad, Tom
To: 'Bionet Protista'
Subject: Source of heliozoan cultures & other matters
Date: Tuesday, July 18, 1995 2:55PM

     I have been successful in cultivating what I believe to be a strain of
Pinaciophora from a dry soil sample.  The trophs are 5-10 ?m in diameter and
siliceous (?) cysts are formed.  The cysts apparently survive drying.  I
would be happy to send a culture at no charge to anyone interested in
characterizing the strain at the EM level.

     To date the ATCC has no strains of heliozoa available for distribution.
 I am interested in developing that aspect of the Collection of Protozoa and
Algae at this time.  If anyone is interested in depositing heliozoans,
please contact me.

     I have also isolated a strains of a new (?) species of Entosiphon  from
dry soil from Mexico and Utah.  It forms a football-shaped cyst that
survives crying.  I would be happy to send a culture at no charge to anyone
interested in characterizing the strain at the EM level.  Does anyone know
if cysts have been reported in other Entosiphon species?

          Thomas A. Nerad
          ATCC
          Collection Manager
          Protistology Section