haplosporidia

AROGER at AC.DAL.CA AROGER at AC.DAL.CA
Tue Oct 3 12:18:36 EST 1995

Just a quick followup on the discussion about whether
haplosporidian 18S DNA can be amplified from unpure
DNA samples.

It is my experience that one can often get several 18S
genes amplifying at once.  So if there is a predicted
size difference between the oyster 18S and the parasite
18S, you can selectively clone a band from a PCR reaction.
Even if there is no difference in size, the screening of
multiple clones can yield both products if they are both
amplifying to similar degrees.  Since I haven't worked
with hap[losporidia, I do not know if it is possible to
get these SSU genes competing well with oyster SSU genes.