ecology postdoc position wanted

M.Spencer M.Spencer at shef.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 06:56:56 EST 1995

Hi
I've recently submitted my PhD thesis in community ecology (the effects
of habitat size on food web structure, supervised by Dr P.H. Warren at
the University of Sheffield), and I'm looking for a postdoc position in
community/population ecology (CV attached).

Matt Spencer, University of Sheffield.
-------------- next part --------------
Curriculum vitae		Matthew Spencer

Address
	Dept. Animal and Plant Sciences,
	University of Sheffield,
	Sheffield,
	S10 2TN,
	England.

	Tel: (01142) 824827
	Fax: (01142) 760 159
	e-mail: m.spencer at sheffield.ac.uk

Date of birth

Research interests
	My interests lie broadly in the field of community ecology,
both theoretical and experimental, particularly: predator-prey systems;
island biogeography; food web structure and dynamics; community assembly;
metapopulation dynamics and spatial processes; individual-based models;
and the application of community ecology in conservation, management
and biological control.  I am also interested in evolutionary ecology
and artificial life.

Relevant skills
	I have wide experience of spatial modelling of ecological problems
including predator-prey systems, using probabilistic cellular automata
with both local and global rules, their approximations using Markov chains
and statistical models, and parameterization of spatial models using
published data.  I have developed a number of Windows programs using
object-oriented Turbo Pascal for Windows, and I now program mainly in C
(DOS, UNIX and X Window), as well as FORTRAN and BASIC.  I am familiar
with SPSS for Windows, Maple, Excel, Word for Windows, Netscape, Idealist
(free text database), Slidewrite and Cricket Graph (graph drawing
software).  I have also worked with a number of other software packages
including SAS, Latex, Xfig and Gnuplot.  I have used a wide variety of
statistical methods including analysis of variance and covariance,
regression and multiple regression, loglinear models and a range of
nonparametric techniques.  I have some experience of field entomology,
mainly with Drosophila and insects associated with fresh water.  I am
familiar with the experimental techniques needed to work with laboratory
aquatic microcosms (bacteria, algae, protozoa, microcrustacea, rotifers,
and Hydra).  I have experience of collecting, identifying and experimenting
with a wide range of freshwater invertebrates, and have also worked
with lichens. I have reviewed a book chapter manuscript, and a
manuscript for The American Naturalist.

Publications

Spencer, M. and Warren, P.H.  The effects of habitat size and
productivity on food web structure in small aquatic microcosms.
Oikos, in press.

Spencer, M.  The effects of habitat size and energy on food
web structure: an individual-based cellular automata model.
Ecological Modelling, submitted.

Spencer, M.  Habitat size, energy and the dynamics of predator-prey
systems.  Oikos, submitted.

Spencer, M. and Warren, P.H.  The effects of habitat size on food
web structure: a microcosm experiment.  Oecologia, submitted.

Warren, P.H. and Spencer, M.  Community and food-web responses to
the manipulation of energy input and disturbance in small ponds.
Oikos, in press.

Book review: The essence of chaos (E.N. Lorenz).
Journal of Biogeography 21, 666-667.

Work in progress
I recently attended the Woods Hole Summer School: Food webs in
terrestrial, freshwater and marine systems (June-July 1995).  I worked on
a collaborative project on spatial models of community assembly, with
Kim Cuddington (University of Guelph, Canada), David Hiebeler
(Cornell University, USA), Tim Keitt (University of New Mexico, USA) and
Louise Matthews (University of Leeds, England).  My contribution was to
develop a spatial community assembly model for simple phytotelmata
food webs, and use it to predict the effects of disturbance on community
structure in tropical and temperate phytotelmata.  This collaboration is
ongoing and will lead to publication in a symposium volume.

Education
1992-present:  University of Sheffield.  I submitted my PhD thesis on
"The effects of habitat size on food web structure", supervised by
Dr P.H. Warren on 1 August, and my viva will be on 24 November.
The project involved a combination of literature data, simulation
modelling using cellular automata, laboratory aquatic microcosm
experiments and field experiments with freshwater organisms.

1989-1992:  University of Leeds.  BSc (Hons) Ecology, 1st class.
Summer field project on lichen community structure (joint winner of
Broadhead Prize); final year lab project on coexistence of Drosophila
genotypes in a patchy environment.

1982-1989: 13 GCE "O" levels (10 at grade A); 3 GCE "A" levels at grade A.

Other interests
I enjoy rock climbing and African/Latin percussion.

Referees
	Dr P.H. Warren (PhD supervisor),
	e-mail p.warren at sheffield.ac.uk

	Dr B. Jarvis (postgraduate affairs committee),
	Dept. Animal and Plant Sciences,
	University of Sheffield,
	Sheffield,
	S10 2TN,
	England.

	Professor John Lee (head of department),