Photoreception in Entamoebia and "unpigmented" Protozoa

Administrador del Nodo Postmaster at
Tue Aug 20 19:59:42 EST 1996

Dear netters!

In amoebas and other scarcely pigmented Protozoa, there is a
well known diffuse reaction to light in which the entire organism, in the
absence of any apparent specialization, responds by what has been
understood as a sol-gel alteration of its cytoplasm, or cytoskeletal

It is also well known that, outside protistologic research, the subject
gave birth to non-conventional speculations, in which I am not interested.

Would any of you direct me to some serious review of the biophysical
and protistological lore, or commenting in the list how could such
phototropic reaction is thought to be physiologically achieved?

I thank very much in advance your collaboration!

       Prof. Mariela Szirko,
       <postmaster at>
       Centro de Investig. Neurobiologicas, Ministry of Health
& Welfare, Argentine Republic; and
       Lab. of Electroneurobiological Res., Neuropsychiatric
Hospital "Dr. Jose Tiburcio Borda", Municipality of Buenos Aires,
       Office:  Phone/Fax (54 1) 306 -7314
                e-mail <postmaster at>
       Standard disclaimer: Las opiniones de este mensaje son
personales y no comprometen las dependencias a cargo de la firmante