Vorticella-like sp. associated with a polychaete

jason jwil4024 at URIACC.URI.EDU
Fri Sep 13 18:31:13 EST 1996

Dear protistologists,

I have found a stalked ciliate associatied with a polychaete (Polydora sp.)
from a marine intertidal area in Rhode Island.  The ciliate appears to be
solitary and the contractile stalk of each specimen is attached to the
hooded hooks of the worm.  The worm has approximately 50 ciliates attached
along the posterior segments.  I believe the ciliate is from the Family
Vorticellidae, but I am not familiar with protists since I work with
polychaetes.   Could someone help me identify this creature?  I have a
videotape of the Vorticella-like sp. recorded while they were alive which I
could send along with a preserved specimen.

Thanks,

Jason Williams