source of diatoms

newsmgr at newsmgr at
Mon Nov 10 15:08:07 EST 1997

Newsgroups: bionet.protista
Subject: Re: source of diatoms
From: jboxhorn at (Joseph E Boxhorn)
Date: 10 Nov 1997 19:33:07 GMT
Originator: jboxhorn at

>From article <6472fp$iem at>, by "Sandy L. Berry-Lowe" <slblowe at>:
> Dear Protist folks,
>                                                She wanted me to
> order one fresh water alga and one fresh water diatom from ATCC.
> Interestingly enough they only have one diatom and it is seawater.
> In addition,both are very expensive (this is a non-funded project),
> each costing over $80.I was hoping that someone on this newsgroup
> could give me some fresh water alternatives.

It sounds to me like she is looking in the wrong culture collection.
There is a collection of algal cultures at the University of Texas.
They have a number of diatoms and lots of everything else.  They
charge about $20 per culture plus shipping (IIRC).  A catalog listing
what they have was included as a supplement to the Journal of Phycology
a few years ago.  This will give ordering information.
              Joseph Boxhorn (jboxhorn at
Department of Biological Sciences   University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee
 "But if there's no Silicon Heaven, where do all the calculators go?"