Normal Eukaryotic Cell

Veljo Kisand veljo.kisand at im.uib.no
Fri Oct 3 11:02:30 EST 1997

Gerd wrote:

> David Hagerberg wrote:
> >
> > At 19.49 97-09-26 -0400, Art Repak wrote:
> > >Normal is an overused term. It generally means something like an average in
> > >a given population of cells or organisms. I don't think there is such a
> > >thing as a "normal" anything- biodiversity is the rule not the exception.
> >
> > Though, something has to be learnt in biology classes!?
>
> I will not sleep well untill I get an answear to the question: Why would
> anyone in the biology world want to find an average, normal or common
> cell. Only statisticans shuld care about averages. In biology it is
> almost a sensation if you find a species that fits any averages. IF YOU
> REALLY WANT A PICTURE OF AN AVERAGE CELL, DO AS STATISTICANS DO: USE THE
> AVERAGE FORMULA, FIGURE OUT HOW THAT APPLY TO CELLS AND MAKE A DRAWING.

Wait a moment. Sometimes you need to make some conclusions to get more
general model or whatever. So do not blame statistics. Depends on
question... Or you just discribe every certain case and that's all.
Statistics can give you clue how system works but certanly it does not
give you ready answers

Talking about eukaryotic and other basic types of cells, somehow I got
imagination that imoprtant is for example DNA structure, how look like
ribosomes etc thus more basic things than mitochondria etc. Or I missed
something? :-)

cheers,
Veljo Kisand