chitin studies

Ariadna Sitja ariadna at
Wed Apr 1 10:51:26 EST 1998

Dear Protistologists,

We are marine parasitologists with expertise in Myxosporea. Part of a
reseach is focused now on the identification of Myxosporea by
and immunohistochemistry. Most of the species we are dealing with are
positive for the lectin WGA. Some authors consider this a positive
for chitin. Nevertheless, we want to be sure of this constitution with
appropiate control: previous digestion with chitinase. In the
literature, we
have found that it is necessary another previous digestion by HCl to
chitin available to the enzyme. Nevertheless, we have no details on the
concentration, pH, temperature, and time of incubation with HCl. We
appreciate very much if you could help us in this matter. Our tissues
samples are fixed in 10% buffered formalin and embedded in Technovit (a
resin from Kulzer, Heraues, Germany), and 1.5  m thick sections are
to the slides with poly-L-lysine.

As I am not subscribed to the  bionet.protista newsgroup, please, answer
directly to my e-mail address.

Very thankful in advance for your kind collaboration,

Dr. Ariadna Sitja-Bobadilla, Ph.D. in Biology
Instituto de Acuicultura de Torre de la Sal (C.S.I.C.)
12595 Torre de la Sal, Ribera de Cabanes, Castellon

                             \ \ \