question from homeschooling family

newsmgr at newsmgr at
Mon Jan 12 08:06:38 EST 1998

Newsgroups: bionet.protista
Subject: question from homeschooling family
From: "Harvey & Laurie Bluedorn" <trivium at>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:49:15 -0600

We are studying the kingdom protista in our homeschool. We have a very good
microscope (100x, 400x and 1000x) and have been spending the past few months
observing slides of pond water. We have found mostly paramecium and
vorticella. I should say, I think they are vorticella because they do not
have a corkscrew-shaped stalk, just a straight stalk (although, once after I
had stained the slide with iodine we were able to observe one bunch of
vorticella with the corkscrew-shaped stalk). We live in Illinois so my
supply of pond water is at an end until spring. Where can I obtain other
specimens of protista (live, I don't want prepared slides). I especially
would like to observe volvox and ameba and different kinds of algae. Thank