Graduate Student Positions available

Morgan Vis vis-chia at
Wed Dec 18 14:33:04 EST 2002

Graduate Student Positions available

I have openings for 1 PhD and 1 MS student in my laboratory
Fall 2003. Student research will focus on biogeography and
of the freshwater red algal order Batrachospermales.  The thesis
projects would be a combination of DNA sequencing and
analyses.  Collecting trips to New Zealand/Tasmania, northern
Malaysia and South Africa are planned and the students would
participate in 1-3 of these trips. Our department (Environmental &
Plant Biology; ) has a very strong
tradition in teaching of Botany. A MS student will take courses that
will allow him/her to be broadly trained in plant biology.  The course
work of a PhD student would center more on the area of systematics. A
research focus area within the department is Phylogenetic Systematics
which can be found at .
The students will be funded in part by a Research Assistant position
and the other portion by a Teaching Assistant.  The anticipated
2003/2004 academic year stipend for a MS student is $13,830 and PhD is
$16,000. Both include tuition waiver. Deadline for application is
January 15th. More information about graduate studies within our
department can be found at

Information about myself, my current students and past students can be
found at the following website:

Please contact me directly via email (vis-chia at if you are
interested in pursuing graduate research in my laboratory and/or have
any questions.

Cheers, Morgan Vis

Dr. Morgan L. Vis
Environmental & Plant Biology
Ohio University=A0 Athens OH=A0 45701 USA
Phone 740 593-1134 Fax 740 593-1130
E-mail vis-chia at
Be sure to check out the algae homepage (lots of algae images)
& the latest Phycological Society of America information