ID help: Ciliate associated with wheat roots

Lance E Davidson led8 at
Mon Sep 9 08:55:35 EST 2002

I study soilborne diseases in small grains and commonly come
across a
ciliate, which makes me wonder whether any species have been
documented as parasites of roots.  If anyone is interested in
providing guidance in the identification of this critter, I would be
grateful and would send some tiffs that I have collected in DIC.
Roughly, this guy is shaped like a button mushroom cap, with
oral ciliature that look like to modified flagellar flappers, and
prominent nucleus and nucleolus.  Beyond that, I have no idea
where to
begin with taxonomy.  (I have to admit here that I am a virologist --
please don't throw anything at me.)  Both insight and references
be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lance

Lance Davidson

Dept. of Plant Pathology
334 Plant Science Bldg.