Postdoc/students: Algae; molec.

Dorset Trapnell dorset at plantbio.uga.edu
Wed Feb 19 08:55:26 EST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 06:49:31 -0500 (EST)
From: EvolDir <evoldir at evol.biology.mcmaster.ca>
To: dorset at dogwood.botany.uga.edu
Subject: Postdoc/students: Algae; molec. systematics/pop. genetics

--Apple-Mail-9-702105430

Apologies for cross-posting.

Opportunities to join the Centre for Environmental & Molecular Algal
Research (http://www.unb.ca/cemar/), University of New Brunswick,
are
available from July to September 2003. Included: postdoctoral
position, graduate studentships, and a technical opportunity; topics
in molecular systematics & population genetics.

ENHANCED RED ALGAL MOLECULAR SYSTEMATICS. Funds are
available to
explore relationships above the ordinal level in the red algal class
Florideophyceae.  This project will provide opportunities for a
postdoctoral fellow and a graduate student to work collaboratively in
a multigene approach to red algal phylogeny. POSTDOCTORAL
FELLOW A
highly motivated individual to develop novel gene systems for the
study of red algal systematics (nuclear protein encoding) is sought.
The successful applicant need not have knowledge of red algal
taxonomy, but must have a strong background in molecular biology
(degenerate primers, cloning/screening, etc., definite assets), and
have some knowledge of molecular systematics (preference to
background
in protistan lineages). Preferred start date is July, 2003. GRADUATE
STUDENT A student at the Ph.D. level is needed to complete a survey
of
the red algal class Florideophyceae using mitochondrial gene
systems.
The successful applicant will have a background in phycology with
knowledge of basic molecular techniques (DNA extraction, PCR, DNA
sequencing); a background in molecular systematics will be a definite
asset.  Preferred start date is between July and September, 2003.

OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
A.  I can support up to two additional graduate students at this time
with an interest in algal molecular systematics.  Preference will be
given to students interested in resolving ordinal and familial level
issues in the red algae, or unraveling cryptic species complexes, but
applicants interested in pursuing work in chromophytic lineages will
also be considered.  I have a number of topics from which suitable
candidates can choose, or I am open to suggestions from applicants.
B.
 I am interested in attracting a Ph.D. student with a background in
molecular population genetics (preferably training in analyzing
microsatellite data).  The successful applicant will initiate studies
into the population structure of morphologically distinct stands of
two kelp genera in the Atlantic provinces of Canada (Alaria and the
Laminaria saccharina/longicruris complex).  The molecular work will
be
combined with morphometric and common garden/reciprocal
transplant
studies.

In all cases, please send a letter of research interest with a
statement of long-term career ambition, curriculum vitae, recent
reprints and the names of three referees to Dr G.W. Saunders.
Indicate to which position(s) you are applying.  All of the previous
are subject to final budgetary approval and priority will be given to
Canadian applicants.

There will also be an opening for a fulltime continuing technician to
work in my research group starting in April or July, 2003.  Please
consult the UNB employment opportunities web page if you are
interested in this position.

Dr. Gary W. Saunders
Canada Research Chair in Molecular Systematics & Biodiversity
Professor, Biology
Director & Algal Curator, Connell Memorial Herbarium
University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, NB, Canada, E3B 6E1
F: 506 453-3583
http://www.unb.ca/cemar/
--Apple-Mail-9-702105430

posting.

Opportunities to join the Centre for Environmental & Molecular Algal
Research
aram>
), University of New Brunswick,
New Roman</param>are available from July to September 2003.
[...]

</fontfamily>