Freshwater Algae course at Iowa Lakeside

Morgan Vis vis-chia at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Feb 19 12:06:34 EST 2003

Dear Colleague:

I am writing you to bring to your attention the Freshwater Algae
course offered this summer at Iowa Lakeside Lab. A small-enrollment,
full-immersion, field-oriented, 4-week course at a biological field
station The course will be taught from May 26 - June 20 and meets all
day, Monday - Friday. It is a chance for students with interests in
the aquatic, environmental or plant sciences or in the algae per se to
immerse themselves in a fascinating subject in an ideal location.

Iowa Lakeside Lab is located in northwest Iowa near the towns of Sprit
Lake and Milford. The region hosts both an abundance and diversity of
aquatic habitats including lakes, fens, ponds, marshes, kettle holes,
streams, rivers. Daily field trips to these environments are an
integral part of the course. Class size is small, in the range of 5-10
students.

This will be my third year to teach the Lakeside algae course.
Additionally, while a graduate student at Iowa State University I took
several courses and did a significant part of the field research at
ILL. So, I am quite familiar with the area and its algal flora. I am
very much looking forward to teaching the Freshwater Algae course
again at Lakeside this summer.

I am requesting that you forward this information contained on to any
students or faculty advisors who might be interested in the course.
Please feel free to have them contact me. For your information I have
copied the Freshwater Algae course description from the website and
pasted it below.

For more information please contact :

Instructor, Jim Wee, via email, wee at loyno.edu, or telephone,
504-865-2548.

Iowa Lakeside Lab web site at: http://www.lakesidelab.org/ or

Iowa Lakeside Lab office on the Iowa State University campus via
email, lakeside at iastate.edu or telephone, 515-294-2488.

Scholarships and financial aid are available

see : http://www.ag.iastate.edu/centers/lakeside/support.html

Thank you in advance for efforts! I look forward to receiving any
inquiries that you may send my way.

Sincerely,

Jim Wee

James L. Wee