request for candidate genomes for

Laura Landweber lfl at PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Feb 5 08:59:41 EST 2004

Dear Colleagues,

John Gerhart and I are co-chairing an NHGRI working group on
Comparative Genome Evolution to make recommendations for
sequencing targets.  There is information on the new program

This working group will address the acquisition of new genomic
sequences for one or more of three main purposes: 1) the provision
sequence from critical phylogenetic positions, for example to
illuminate the evolution of major morphogenetic or physiological
innovations in evolution; 2) at a smaller evolutionary scale, the
provision of sequence from species that will allow the optimal
identification of conserved functional regions in the existing genome
sequence of important non-mammalian model systems; and 3) the
provision of information that addresses basic questions about
evolution such as evolutionary rates; speciation; genome
reorganization, origins of variation, etc.

This program is intended to have a scope potentially encompassing
organisms except plants, algae, eubacteria and archaea.  This
is for consideration of targets for large-scale genomic sequencing.
Proposals for EST sequencing, cDNA sequencing or the
development of
other genomic resources will not be considered by this procedure,
pilot sequencing may be possible to justify the consideration of an

We seek input from various research communities, and we
nominations, supported by as many answers as you can provide
questions appended at the bottom of this email.  If you like, I can
email you a spreadsheet containing all these categories.  We can
consider some genomes very soon, since we will be making our
first set
of recommendations in early April.  This sequencing effort will
continue, and we are interested in knowing about candidate
genomes for
future years, from organisms still needing preliminary work. We look
forward to hearing from you.

Please cc: "Felsenfeld, Adam (NIH/NHGRI)"
<felsenfa at> on
inquiries or recommendations.

Best regards,
  Laura Landweber

Proposed organism or set of organisms:
Contact or lead author:
Genome Size:
Method of genome size estimate:
Sequencing coverage-high, low, or just preliminary:
What is the need for the complete genome as opposed to BACs or
Sequencing strategy (e.g., whole genome shotgun) Phylogenetic or
Evolutionary argument(s): Polymorphism level: Availability of DNA:
Availability of BACs: Food source/symbionts/contaminants:
for the usefulness of the genome sequence for annotating/
other genomes: Preliminary data, if any: G/C content: Unusual
characteristics: Is it an experimental organism? Which experimental
tools are available: Medical or Agricultural relevance, if any: Model
for any particular biological system(s) or other novelty: Readiness
for the genome: Size of research community: Other funding or
projects, etc.: Any anticipated technical challenges: Is preliminary
work needed to assess genome readiness?

    Laura F. Landweber, Associate Professor
    Ecology & Evolutionary Biology,  223 Guyot Hall
    Princeton University, Princeton, NJ  08544-1003
    tel 609-258-1947    *    fax 609-258-7892    *
    lfl at