[Protista] Paramecium tric

paul earl pearl at dsi.uanl.mx
Thu Oct 5 11:49:19 EST 2006

Dear Reader,

Paramecium trichium Stokes, 1885 is not a synonym of  P. putrinum
Claparede & Lachmann, 1858-59 since it is smaller and also its MI is
smaller. See Wenrich DH (J Morph Physiol 43: 81-103, 1926). The original
descriptions have length 83 for P. trichium and 105 µm for P. putrinum.
By Wenrich's measurements, P. trichium has: 85 L, 34 W, 20 MAL and 10
MAW, single, compact MI of 3 µm, round yet sometimes oval. P. putrinum
has about 4.5 µm for MI..Y. Tsukii gave 91 x 44 microns for P. trichium
from Japan. See
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/pdb/Images/Ciliophora/Paramecium/trichium/trichium_02.html
Kudo (1966 but not forgotten!) gave 80-150 for P. putrinum. This average
is (80 + 150)/2) = 115 µm. The MA of  P. putrinum is 25 x 15 µm.

We have 4 possible groups as greater than100 µm L or less, and greater
than 4 µm MI or less.

Figure 1 after Wenrich, 1926, including "pocketing" of the MA surface.
Attached.

Wenrich wrote, "It is quite impossible to harmonize these varying
descriptions of  P. putrinum with each other or with the known
characters of P. trichium. I am inclined to believe that the species
described by Schewiakoff, Roux, and Alvarez are all different species,
while that of Bütschli is probably identical with P. trichium."
Schewiakoff's species was about 130 µm L.

Currently, paramecia less than 100 µm long are called P. putrinum that
are P. trichium.

Best,                            Paul R Earl