[Protista] Supervisor and PhD thesis on desmids
marie110 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 04:02:41 EST 2006
*Supervisor and PhD thesis on desmids*
After obtaining B.Sc. degree on the Faculty of Biology, University of
Belgrade, I have enrolled postgraduate (master's) studies - the
I have always been impressed with the beauty of desmid algae, so as a
subject for the master's thesis I have investigated the diversity and
distribution of the desmid flora in territory of the Province of
Vojvodina (north Serbia). M.Sc. degree was obtained in December 2005.
In total, 237 samples of water for the phytoplankton qualitative
analysis were collected and analysed from 41 localities on Vojvodina
rivers and the Danube-Tisza-Danube irrigation-drainage canal system,
from April 2002 to May 2003. During the investigation more than 200
desmid taxa were recorded.
During the bachelor's and master's studies I have gained a wide
experience in the following fields:
- collection of microalgae samples (phytoplankton, phytobenthos,
periphyton, metaphyton), slide preparation, preparation of diatom
- skills in the identification and ecology of desmids,
- taxonomic skills in phycology (including all groups of freshwater
- determination of water quality using desmids and other algae as
indicators; performing complete qualitative and quantitative
algological and saprobiological analyses,
- preparation of desmid drawings with the aid of a drawing-tube,
- digital photomicrograph capture directly from a microscope,
- processing and editing images and drawings of desmids,
- basic database management, graphic design (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
Illustrator, CorelDRAW) and web page design (Macromedia Dreamweaver),
- theoretical knowledge in biology of desmids.
Also, I am very much interested in:
- isolation and cultivation of desmids,
- physiology and biochemistry of desmids.
I am fluent in Russian language, with a working knowledge of Polish and
able to use German with regard to the algal determination.
As a Research Associate (since June 2006), I am looking for any kind of
further investigation on desmids (taxonomy, ecology, physiology,
phylogeny) as a topic for the PhD research, or related project on
At this moment I am searching for a Professor who is willing to
supervise the research on desmids.
Any kind of information regarding a possible investigation on desmids,
would be more than precious to me!
The abstract of master's thesis, CV, publications, and the names,
telephone numbers, FAX and e-mail of academic referees are certainly
available upon request.
Marija Stamenkovic, M.Sc.
Institute of Botany and Botanical Garden "Jevremovac";
Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade;
Takovska 43, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
fax: +381 11 2638-500
tel.: +381 11 2881-600
e-mail: marie110 at gmail.com
More information about the Protista