Launch of Microbial Genomes Mailing List

Mark Pallen m.pallen at
Thu Feb 6 11:34:41 EST 1997

 Dear Colleagues
 Having recently returned from a meeting on the sequencing of Small Genomes
 (, I was astonished at
 the rate of progress in this field. To help the microbiology and molecular
 biology community keep up to date in this field, I have launched an
 electronic mailing list on the subject of microbial genomes. Instructions
 on how to join or access this mailing list follow after my signature.
 The list is intended to be a forum for the discussion of microbial genomes
 (bacterial, archaeal and small eucaryotic genomes), including announcements
 on progress on genome sequencing projects and technical
 details of sequencing and sequence analysis.
 More specifically, intended uses of the list include, but are not limited to:
 *       Announcements of new microbial genome sequencing projects
 *       Announcements of significant milestones in current projects
 *       Announcements of completion of microbial genome sequencing projects
 *       Take away lessons or vignettes gleaned from sequencing projects
 *       Distribution of URLs for sites pertaining to sequencing projects,
         including genomic databases
 *       Information on newly published papers on small genome sequencing
 *       Discussion of sequencing techniques, hardware etc
 *       Discussion of sequence annotation and analysis methods,
         software, algorithms etc
 *       Discussion of the ways in which genomic data can be used,
         including up-and-coming technologies (DNA chips, EUROFAN etc.)
 *       Requests for collaborators on genome sequencing and analysis projects
 *       Dissemination of pre-prints for discussion and electronic peer review
 *       Announcements of meetings on microbial genomes
 Although specific mailing lists already exist for some projects
 (see and, I hope that
 microbial-genomes will act as a general forum on microbial genomes.
 Please forward this e-mail to anyone who you think might be interested.
 Please get stuck in and post any information you have that might be of
 interest to list readers!
 To get the ball rolling, here is a handful of URLs that I gathered from the
 small genomes meeting. I will post more to the list as I work through them
 in the coming week. You can cut and paste the URLs into your browser, or
 pick them up from the list archive on:
 Terry Gaasterland's running list of genomes in progress:
 (includes links to Magpie page and many genome sites)
 The E. coli genome center at Wisconsin
 Search Entrez's genome section:
 EcoCyc database
 Genome Sequence DataBase
 Dr Mark Pallen, Senior Lecturer in Medical Microbiology,
 St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School
 of Medicine and Dentistry, London, EC1A 7BE
 currently on a Research Leave Fellowship at Imperial College
 Rm 502, Dept of Biochem, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY
 email:m.pallen at  WWW:
 phone: day ++44(0)1715945254, eves ++44(0)1438869477, FAX ++44(0)1715945255
 Author, Microbial Underground:
 "Nothing in biology makes any sense except in the light of evolution"
 T. Dobzhansky
 Joining microbial-genomes
 To join microbial-genomes send the command:
        Join microbial-genomes firstname(s) lastname
 (substituting appropriately) as the only text in the body of a message
  addressed to:
        mailbase at
 For general queries about the list, consult the list's web page on
 To search the list archives go to:
 To browse the list Hypermail archive go to:
 For general information relating to Mailbase, contact the Mailbase Helpline
        mailbase-helpline at
 or take a look at the web site:

Dr.Christoph G.Grevelding       Tel.:(49)-211-81-13070
Genetic Parasitology            Fax :(49)-211-81-12333
Institute of Genetics                (49)-211-81-12279
Universitaetsstrasse 1
40225 Duesseldorf
+ e-mail: Christoph.Grevelding at                      +
+ +