case studies

Policy Temp POLITEMP at WWFUS.org
Mon Mar 10 05:14:02 EST 1997

 I am interested in learning more about schistosomiasis and different
 successful models that have been implemented by different communities
 and/or governments to control the disease.

 I am gathering information for a report that will be presented by the World
 Wildlife Fund that will focus on integrated approaches in vector-borne
 diseases control programmes from all over the world. One of the
 objectives of this report that is part of a broader project is help reduce
 heavy reliance on insecticides and develop recommendations about
 strategies to sustainably protect human health and preserve the quality
 of the environment.
 We have some initial candidate case studies from Cameroon, China, and
 Brazil although the information is very limited and we still do not know
 about the current status of these programmes.
 It is my understanding that, at least in the case of Cameroon,
 community-based approaches within the primary health care system to
 control schistosomiasis have been most sustainable and cost-effective.
 Perhaps others will be like to contribute with their experiences and
 knowledge. If you would like to know more about this project, please
 contact me.

 My full contact information is:
 Yvonne Martin
 1250 24th St., NW