makeSCF SGI ELF / src?

James Bonfield jkb at
Tue Mar 31 10:55:28 EST 1998

In article <6fo941$9ho$1 at> jkb at (James Bonfield) writes:
>In article <351CF5DB.2BC03BEF at> Fourie Joubert <fourie at> writes:
>>Can anyone tell me where to find a SGI ELF32 binary or source code for
>makeSCF is part of the Staden Package and is not freely available (either as
>a binary or as source). However the main guts of it (reading ABI, ALF,
>SCF formats and writing to SCF) is freely available as part of our
>io_lib package.

To follow up on my own message, we've now decided to make makeSCF
freely available. In the future it will become part of io_lib,
contained within the io_lib/progs subdirectory. For now I've just
placed in by itself in our ftp site. To download a copy fetch

It's in a single smallish file and requires -I.../io_lib/include to
compile and -L.../io_lib/lib/$MACHINE-binaries -lread to link. It
should compile fine on any Ansi C compiler, but please email me if you
have problems.

If you still feel worried about the makeSCF status, it's also worth
noting that the simplest equivalent using the free io_lib library
would be:

#include "Read.h"
#include "traceType.h"
int main(int argc, char **argv) {
    Read *r;
    if (argc != 3) return 1;
    if (NULL == (r = read_reading(argv[1], TT_ANY))) return 1;
    return write_reading(argv[2], r, TT_SCF);

Obviously we'd still like people to get the complete Staden Package
for the rest of our programs :-)

James Bonfield (jkb at   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556
Also see Staden Package WWW site at