Gap4 on Intel/Solaris

James Bonfield jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 09:06:33 EST 2000

In article <89clma$t4v$1 at netnews.upenn.edu> pshinn at mail1.sas.upenn.edu (Paul Shinn) writes:
>    I've installed Gap4 on Sparc 10s running Solaris 2.6 with no
>problem.  However, I just installed Solaris 2.7 on my Intel machine at
>home.  I also installed Gap4 but when I try to run it, I get this error:
>
>gap4sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

Kathryn's already replied to this via email, but for the benefit of
other usenets readers:

This is an error with trying to run the Sun SPARC compiled executable
on an Intel platform.

We have tried to install Solaris 2.6 x86 on our PCs, but failed. I
tried two different systems. On the first one it simply crashed part
way through installation and left the machine in an unbootable
state. On the second, newer, machine it refused to install as it
claimed that the disk size was negative; it's 27Gb but I guess the Solaris
2.6 x86 installer is only 32-bit code. My opinion is therefore that
until Sun get a realiable system we are not going to compile code for
it.

We can however provide the package source for people wishing to
compile it themselves. This requires signing a licence (but that just
states little more than it's copyright MRC and has restricted
distribution). I believe this is already being looked into by one
party, so we may then be able to make prebuilt Solaris x86 binaries
available.

	James
--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556