Suggestion for a gap4 repository and license RFD

Bastien Chevreux bach at chevreux.org
Wed Apr 30 08:30:15 EST 2003

Hello all,

I just read Rodgers email about how the gap4 group is being dissolved, which
is - imnsho - something which can only be called plain stupid (and yes,
this is an understatement). Hats off that they managed to get the
permission to make the package Open Source, even if it is not that much of
a consolation for them.

Getting to the more practical side, I strongly suggest putting such a large
package into an existing CVS (or BitKeeper?) repository. SourceForge (or
the GNU pendant) or BitKeeper repository come to mind. There mechanisms in
place there - maintainer status with r/w access, discussion lists, bug
tracking etc. - should be able to have a maximum number of people getting
involved in the further development of the package. With time - and a bit
of luck - a core group that knows the package well enough will evolve from
the people who constantly work with it and make additions to it.

Another question is the OS license under which gap4 should be placed. I'd
currently favour a GPL _or_ Tcl/BSD-style license. They both have their
pros and cons which are discussed elsewhere on the net in depth. I would
just like to mention that they both seem sensible to me.

Salut,
       Bastien

--
        -- The universe has its own cure for stupidity. --
         -- Unfortunately, it doesn't always apply it. --