exposure to titanium tetrachloride

Michael W Thompson MIKE at PCC.SLU.EDU
Tue Aug 22 16:25:15 EST 1995

On 8/22/95 wfields437 at aol.com (WFields437) wrote:

> I need information regarding the effects of inhaling titanium
> tetrachloride which has come into contact with air creating a hydrochloric
> acid and ??????other substance cloud.  I would like to know what other
> by-products, such as titanium oxides or whatever might be present and
> their effects on the body.
>
> Thank You

Titanium tetrachloride decomposes in the presence of moisture to
hydrochloric acid, titanium dioxide and heat.  The toxicity of this
agent appears to be due to the release of hydrochloric acid. The
vapors are very irritating to the respiratory tract. Cough,
bronchoconstriction with wheezing, chemical pneumonitis, or
noncardiogenic pulmonary edema may occur following inhalation.
The titanium dioxide by-product would not contribute to the toxicity.

Reference: Sittig M:  Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and
Carcinogens, 2nd ed.  Noyes Publications, Park Ridge, NJ, 1985, pp
865-866.

Thank you,
Michael W Thompson
mike at pcc.slu.edu