Sick horses

Richard John Brennan brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 25 21:11:50 EST 1995

Alan Stern (ahstern at EOHSI.RUTGERS.EDU) wrote:
: As requested in the original posting on "sick horses," I responded directly
: to the originator of the posting.  I suggested (very tentatively) that the
: primary toxicity seemed to be to the kidney.  I suggested two possible
: mechanisms: 1. Based on the severe reduction in urine volume, I thought that
: there might be some agent in the food which is crystalizing in the tubules
: creating a physical blockage (e.g., ethylene glycol, which could also produce
: some of the CNS symptoms being reported), or 2. Based on the problems with
: joints, tubular toxicity affecting the reabsorption of Ca (perhaps a heavy
: metal (Cd?) in the feed).

: I would be very interested to hear what others in the toxicology newsgroup
: made of that posting.

I was interested in the possible link to a feed contaminant. The day
before the post appeared, a local news show reported a rash of
pet dog illness traced to "mould contaminated grain" used by a food
manufacturer. I don't know if the manufacturer was the same one
as for the horse feed (Purina I believe), or any details of the illnesses
suffered by the dogs.

Does anyone know the physical manifestations of aflatoxin
poisoning other than (or following) the hepatotoxic effects, or if any
other mould toxins could cause the kinds of symptoms observed?

Rich
Richard J. Brennan Ph.D.                           brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Molecular and Cellular Toxicology
Harvard School of Public Health
665 Huntington Ave.                              (617) 432 0350
Boston, MA 02115                                 (617) 432 0377 (FAX)