Toxicology Reference Needed

Mari J Stoddard stoddard at aruba.ccit.arizona.edu
Thu Aug 31 19:23:17 EST 1995

In article <dforsha.39.00363600 at mpra.com>,
Denis K. Forsha <dforsha at mpra.com> wrote:
>I need to find out the effects on humans of short duration breathing
>of elevated concentrations of carbon dioxide (concentrations in the range
>of 5 to 10% for 30 seconds to several minutes).  Can you recommend reference
>books or publications that will help me?  Thanks for your help.

gopher://quasar.tach.net/
 Search MSDS Index by Manufacturer &/or Product Name
gopher://quasar.tach.net:3020/7?carbon-dioxide
  Search the MSDS Index by Manufacturer or Product Name (jughead)
 WYCON CHEMICAL >> CARBON DIOXIDE
gopher://quasar.tach.net:74/00/df6b/1023/%20WYCON%20CHEMICAL%20%3E%3E%20CARBON%20DIOXIDE

                             Health Hazard Data
 Route Of Entry - Skin: YES
 Health Haz Acute And Chronic: A SIMPLE ASPHYXIANT. HIGH CONCENTRATIONS OF
 CARBON DIOXIDE IN THE AMBIENT AIR CAN REDUCE THE OXYGEN CONTENT NECESSARY
 TO SUPPORT LIFE. IN THE SOLID PHASE (DRY ICE), CONTACT WITH BODY TISSUE
 WILL PRODUCE COLD BURNS OR FROSTBITE WITHIN SEVERAL SECONDS. ACCORDING TO

 CGA PHAMPHLET #G-6, THE MAXIMUM EXPOSURE LIMIT OF A *
 Signs/Symptoms Of Overexp: *HEALTHY MALE UNDER EXERCISING CONDITIONS IN
 AIR HAVING A 7% CONCENTRATION OF CO2 BY VOLUME IS LESS THAN 3 MINUTES.

 Med Cond Aggravated By Exp: ANY CONDITION THAT WOULD BE AGGRAVATED BY A
 REDUCED QUANTITY OF NORMAL QUALITY BREATHING IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.
 AIR.

Emergency/First Aid Proc: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE AN INDIVIDUAL FROM THE
 SCENE OF AN OVEREXPOSURE WITHOUT UTILIZING PROPER RESCUE EQUIPMENT OR YOU
 MAY BECOME A CASUALTY. REMOVE VICTIM FROM CARBON DIOXIDE, PROVIDE PLENTY OF
 FRESH AIR WHILE KEEPING SUCH PERSON WARM, DRY AND QUIET. IF BREATHING HAS
 STOPPED, PERFORM ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION. GET
Mari Stoddard          stoddard at aruba.ccit.arizona.edu
Arizona Health Sciences Library, University of Arizona
520 / 626-2925 (voice)              520 626-2922 (fax)