Toxicity: pyrethrins, (S)-Methoprene, Permethrin...

Mark L. Tracy mtracy2 at netcom.com
Thu Jul 20 03:02:28 EST 1995

In article <3ubnl7$mi9 at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
vpiercy at ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu (Van Piercy) wrote:

> I'm interested in knowing about any reports, toxicity data on the following
> insect growth regulators/inhibitors, biocides:
>
> 1) (S)-Methoprene [Isopropyl (2E, 4E, 7S)-11-methoxy-3,7,11-trimethyl-2,
>         4-dodecadienoate].
> 2) Piperonyl Butoxide, (butylcarbityl) (6-propylpiperonyl) ether.
> 3) N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide.
> 4) Pyrethrines.
> 5) Permethrin [(3-Phenoxyphenyl) methyl (+/-) cis-trans-3
>         -(2,2-dichloroethenyl).
> 6) Phosphorothioate.
> 7) Chlorpyrifos: 0,0-Diethyl 0-(3, 5,6-trichloro-2-pyridyl).
>
> Any information, even anecdotal, about these compounds would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Van

Two good references for a quick overview of such stuff are "Merck Index"
and "Farm Chemicals Handbook" both available at your library. There will
be further references in these books to more details in the technical
literature.

Also a few clarifications, items 6 and 7 should be combined to read
Chlorpyrofos: O,O-Dethyl O-(3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridyl) phosphorothioate

Pyrethrins are a class of naturally occurring insecticides. Pyrethroids
are synthetic analogs, of which permethrin is a member.

have fun,
Mark Tracy