Question re. Radon

jkehrer at uts.cc.utexas.edu jkehrer at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 13 09:51:51 EST 1995

Lung cancer is the only type of cancer associated with radon exposure to
any significant extent.  Exposure to elevated radon is required for years
to see any increase in cancer incidence.  Further, the increase appears
largely to be confined to smokers.  In general, whether radon is a
significant hazard to nonsmokers continues to be debated, although its
carcinogenic potential cannot be denied.  As a gas, the only organ likely
to receive significant exposure is the lung, so cancers such as leukemia
and uterine are very unlikely to be caused by radon.