Skin permeation of solvents

Pourreau pourreau at aol.com
Tue Apr 2 01:15:41 EST 1996

I am looking for opinions on the relative accuracy of in-vivo and in-vitro
methods for measuring the rate of dermal penetration of solvents, such as
DMSO.  There is a common perception that DMSO "flies through the skin" and
that many other chemicals are dermal permeation hazards but I have seen
few authoritative pharmacokinetic studies to confirm this.  Several
in-vitro methods use either cadaver skin or live epidermis only. Are these
methods reliable and how do they correlate with radiolabeled PK studies in
live animals?  Any comments and examples would be appreciated.

Dan P.