Head lice and Organo-phosphates.

sripathirathan kumar skumar at nyx.cs.du.edu
Sun Dec 8 19:59:49 EST 1996

Brian Hiestand <hiestand.2 at pop.service.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
: In article <19961208.114312.93 at halmarax.demon.co.uk> Tony at halmarax.demon.co.uk (Tony Halmarack) writes:
: >n.co.uk!Tony
: >From: Tony at halmarax.demon.co.uk (Tony Halmarack)
: >Newsgroups: bionet.toxicology
: >Subject: Head lice and Organo-phosphates.
: >Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 11:43:12 +0100

: >I live at a boarding school which my wife and daughter attend for various
: >reasons. For some time there has been a head-louse infestation, treated
: >with Organo-phosphates. I'm very unhappy with two aspects of this.
: >The use of these particular chemicals in the first place and the
: >ineffective piece-meal methods employed.
: >Please can anyone advise as to alternative treatments and procedures?
: >--
: >Tony Halmarack =*= Tony at halmarax.demon.co.uk

: Two alternatives currently in use in US (may be others, but these are common):

: 1. Nix (permethrin):paralyzes lice by disrupting sodium channels in nerve
: cells.  Also ovicidal, persists in hair.  Ususally only requires one
: treatment at 1% for lice, higher for scabies.  Shampoo, rinse, towel dry,
: apply 1% solution, leave on for 10 min,rinse.  We used this at Children's
: Hospital in Columbus OH for a patient discovered to have lice.  Adverse
: effects usually limited to itching, stinging, or numbness in a small % of
: patients.

: 2. Kwell (lindane):  kills adult lice, some ovicidal activity.  More side
: effects, some resistance known.  Adverse effects due to absorption through
: skin, secondary to too frquent application, prolonged application.

: In addition, bedding and clothes, esp hats, all need to be cleaned.  To my
: understanding, regular detergents will do the job, but I am not sure about
: that.  "Personal articles can be disinfested by washing in hot water and/or
: drying using the hot cycle of the dryer.  Eggs are killed after five minutes
: at 51.5 C, or 30 minutes at 49.5 C; adults succumb to slightly lower
: temperatures.  Combs can be disinfested by soaking for one hour in Lysol
: (saponated cresol solution) or heating in water to about 60 C for 5-10 min.
: Clothing or bedding that cannot be washed should be dry cleaned or selaed in a
: plastic bag for two weeks.  Thorough vacuuming will suffice for living
: quarters.

: Malathion is the only organophosphate allowed for this use in the US, is one o
: fthe least toxic OP preparation, and is more ovicidal than Nix or Kwell.  Odor
: is objectionable, and the lotion is flammable-no cigarretes, please!

: Source:American Medical Association Drug Evaluations Annual 1995

: Brian Hiestand
: MED 3
: OSU College of Medicine