Head lice and Organo-phosphates.

Brian Hiestand hiestand.2 at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Mon Dec 9 20:34:38 EST 1996

In article <19961209024000.VAA28927 at ladder01.news.aol.com> stjasmpa at aol.com writes:
>From: stjasmpa at aol.com
>Newsgroups: bionet.toxicology
>Subject: Re: Head lice and Organo-phosphates.
>Date: 9 Dec 1996 02:40:34 GMT

>I thought that lindane was not recommended for use in children. In fact, I
>thought that it was being phased out, if not completly banned.

>Nix usually does the job is is much less toxic than either an
>organophosphate or lindane. But be careful, studies in rats have shown
>pyrethroids to be much more toxic to young animals than to older ones.

>susan Sharpe
>Carrboro, NC

Nix is the one in use where I am currently at.  Greater ovicidal activity,
less toxicity, less resistance than lindane.  I do not know of lindane being
banned by the FDA, I thought they were too busy taking on Newt Gingrich and
the Marlboro Man  :-}  If anyone has a specific reference for the use of
lindane in kids, please post.  As for pyrethroids (NIX) in rats, I am curious
as to dose, route, duration of exposure, and type of toxicity.  Remember,
we're talking ten minutes on the scalp for common use.

Anyway, always willing to learn something new...
Brian Hiestand