Animal Models in Toxicology: Discussion Topic

George McKee mckee at starbase.neosoft.com
Sat Feb 10 16:39:00 EST 1996

John Budney (jabudny at earthlink.net) wrote:
: -Why do we use animal models in toxicology (which may be related to the
: question: Why do we use animal models in biology?)

We use model organisms in biology for two kinds of reasons:
- ethical reasons
 it's not moral to harm fellow humans
 it's generally selectively negative for members of a species to
     damage conspecifics
- technical ones
 a well-chosen model system allows one to study whatever phenomenon
     you're interested in in a more well-controlled way.
 the model system may exhibit the phenomenon of interest in a more
     easily accessible, or simplified way
 model systems are usually less expensive to maintain than the target
     system, but can provide answers that generalize back to it.

	- George McKee

--
Internet: mckee at neosoft.com               Voice: +1 713 890 8122
Disclaimer: neosoft is just an access provider.