Cadmium mechanism

Laughlin, Jim Jim.Laughlin at metrokc.gov
Mon Feb 12 19:14:06 EST 1996

--Boundary (ID bWNTA6Ggx0Mm8dIHrUo+oQ)

Scott
	Cd inhibits Ca binding proteins and is a blocker of Ca2+ channels in
neurons.  H+ competes with Cd2+ for membrane binding sites.  Cd is
transported hematogenously by binding to hemoglobin and albumin.  Cd is
bound by metalothionein in the liver and transported to the kidneys where it
causes degenerative changes in the proximal tubules of the kidney and
inhibits glucuronidation.  Cd alters Ca metabolism in the skeletal system.
 Cd reduces the activity of Na+/K+ -ATPase.  Cd competes with Ca2+ for
binding and uptake at active transport sites in membranes.
	A good paper that discusses the mechanism is:

Foulkes, E.C. 1989. On the mechanism of cellular cadmium uptake.  Biol.
Trace Element Res. 21:195-200.
There are also many other papers relating to cadmium toxicity, too numerous
to mention here.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,

Jim.Laughlin at metrokc.gov
Metropolitan King County Environmental Laboratory
322 W. Ewing St.
Seattle, WA  98119
206-684-2358
Fax: 206-684-2395