Animal Models in Toxicology

Paul Whitehead p.whitehead at dial.pipex.com
Tue Feb 13 12:14:02 EST 1996

Jason Ram <ramjoshi at duke.usask.ca> wrote:

>Well... animal models (e.g., in vitro studies) can help determine whether
>certain drugs are worthwhile pursuing as a course of treatment in various
>pathological conditions (e.g., cellular damage) brought about when the
>system is challenged by toxins (e.g., pesticides).  If data from the
>model shows good supporting evidence for the effectiveness of the drug
>against the toxin, then the drug can go to the next stage for testing
>and evaluation.  Animal models are useful as they usually give good
>preliminary indications whether a drug has the potential for its ultimate
>use in humans.

I believe here you are considering pharmacological models, although
what is toxicology if not exaggerated pharmacology.   Is it not true
that pharmacological models need to be more reliable than
toxicological models?  Without reliability, a potentially valuable
drug may be thrown away due to lack of efficacy.  We already know how
unreliable whole animal toxicology can be, and then take appropriate
steps to make that extrapolation to man.

Paul Whitehead BSc CBiol MIBiol DABT
United Kingdom
e-mail p.whitehead at dial.pipex.com